Blog Post - News, Views and Tips
Honey, food of the Gods. Referred to and praised for its nutritional and medicinal benefits in almost every world religion’s ancient texts, science is increasingly proving that they really did know what they were talking about back then.
Honey has a remarkably long list of benefits, so I’ve highlighted 10 to see if it persuades you to add this sweet goey stuff to your shopping list.
1. Honey contains powerful antiseptic and antibacterial properties. In fact scientists have revealed that honey has anti-bacterial properties on at least sixty species of bacteria, so much so in fact that honey’s antibacterial properties are also used as a natural treatment for cuts and burns. Its antibacterial effects also act as an anti inflammatory.
2. It also contains powerful antioxidants, and these antioxidant constituents can help clean up oxygen free radicals, which are significant factors behind cancer and ageing.
3. Topically, honey has been successfully used to treat diabetic ulcers, and can be used to treat acne and blotchy skin if used as a face mask.
4. Used for generations, and sworn by grandmothers the world over, recent research has confirmed that honey may be as effective for treating coughs and sore throats as dedicated cough medicines.
5. It is also great for treating mild cases of acid reflux.
6. Honey contains vitamins; B1, B2, B3, B5, B6 and C.
7. It also contains the minerals; potassium, calcium, sodium, magnesium, sulphur iron and phosphate.
8. Containing glucose and fructose, the glucose in honey is absorbed quickly, giving the body a rapid energy boost. However in contrast it has the ability to keep blood sugar levels more consistent compared to other types of sugar.
9. Honey is known for it’s effectiveness for instantly boosting performance, endurance and reducing the muscle fatigue of athletes.
10. Honey is a great natural source of carbohydrate.
So, if you are feeling low on energy in the morning, instead of your usual cuppa, why not try some honey on toast, or honey in milk or warm water for a really great energy boost that tastes delicious and will benefit your health and wellbeing!
Note – when buying honey, try and go for organic varieties if you can, especially the Manuka variety which has higher levels of the antibactierial compounds.